Tongue Tied America: Reviving the Art of Verbal Persuasion
$38.95 (as of 21st March 2019, 2:00 pm) & FREE Shipping.
This concise, practical text focuses on the art and craft of persuasive oral argument. It explores why people are ill-at-ease with public speaking and addresses why the problem exists, why it matters, and what to do about it. The authors, teachers of oral advocacy who have broad trial experience as well, maintain that everyone can master basic oral advocacy, and they skillfully and in an engaging style guide the reader through the steps necessary to do so. Tongue-Tied America: Reviving the Art of Verbal Persuasion will make an excellent supplement to any Advocacy course, but anyone who ever speaks in front of other people–formally or informally–will find it an enlightening and valuable resource.
This highly readable text draws from the teachings of masters of rhetoric and uses techniques from several disciplines. It includes:
- Explanations of the essential principles of speech writing derived from classical rhetoric and psychology. The authors look at the methods great speakers use to persuade their audiences and discuss tactics for addressing and persuading different types of audiences.
- Keys to successful public speaking, including psychological insights and strategies taken from the theater.
- Step-by-step guidance through the process of writing a speech , including an explanation of the function of different kinds of speeches and the unique requirements of writing the spoken word.
- How to deliver a speech effectively
- What to do with your hands and feet
- Avoiding verbal ticks (such as “um” and “uh”)
- Developing an awareness of cadence
- Connecting with the audience
- Exercises for improving voice and overcoming stage fright
- Beginning and ending a speech with force and interest
- Tips and checklists
- Numerous practical examples, which the authors analyze in-depth, that illustrate what works in public speaking and what doesn’t.
- The final chapter examines a number of iconic speeches that were delivered for a variety of reasons and explains why they work.
- A companion website which contains video examples that illustrate how to deliver a speech well.